Saturday, September 29, 2007

Hi Ho, Hi Ho

...and back to work I go'ed.

Today was my first day back college instructor-ing since June. I appreciated having the bulk of the summer off--in fact, I had arranged it that way by turning down a class--but I didn't realize that as a mother, perhaps the true meaning of vacation is a bit different than it used to be.

Perhaps the new meaning of vacation is...

Working.

I understand a new study announces that women are less happy than men, perhaps because they are now combining an increasing amount of professional work with at-home chores that are unevenly distributed between the sexes. But I must say, not having worked in months, I had nearly forgotten how it allows a different self to emerge: an employed, servile self, but a self with different capabilities:

like, that don't include fetching yogurt.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Congrats on getting back to work for pay! It's sad, but true, that it often feels like a vacation after days filled with kid(s). It's all about balance, baby! (Or so I hear.)

Izzy's Mama said...

Therein lies the difference. Believe it or not, I love to fetch yogurt.

I have often heard moms speak of this vacation-like experience but I can't imagine that going back to teaching 2nd graders would feel like a vacation to me!

Make the most of yours though!