Monday, March 31, 2008

One of Many Inevitable Conversations

We all know what they are, when you have children:

1. Death

2. Sex

3. Why People Get Divorced

OK, this is depressing. I'm stopping now.

R. and I had to spend a few quiet moments in bed tonight with the Bean discussing #1, since my parents' dog, Miles, died unexpectedly today of renal failure as a result of two undiagnosed tick-related ailments.

The Bean loved Miles.

"Do we get to see him anymore?" she asked.

"In our memory," I said. Luckily, the Bean has a good one.

I am not a fan of beating around the bush with these topics. But kids prove themselves eager to understand.

Earlier tonight, after dinner and without warning, she brought up the memory of Gunther, a dog I grew up with and who died before she was born. Photos of him have made an impression, since he was very large and very white. She told R's parents, "Gunther died."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

we have had one cat die already and now a friend's dog (Widdle in JC) just passed away. "very old and very sick" has been repeated many times but I must admit to hearing M. talk about her own death someday as quite an experience. She wants to live forever, but she would also like to see her cat and dog friends again ... don't even get me started on the whole religion and afterlife talk ... I have to figure that one out for myself still.

Sarah said...

Sorry to hear about Miles!

Do Tell! said...

t is obsessed with death lately -- oh i see j told you! -- she sometimes says to me, "mama, when are you going to die?" Which is a very normal question, considering she just learned about death, but hey -- i haven't even accepted the fact that i'm going to die one day yet, so it's very strange to hear that come out of her mouth!