Thursday, September 06, 2007

Crackland

The Bean and I are discussing old people after reading Babar (re: Babar's friend, the Old Lady). The Bean asks, "Why is it that when people get old, they get cracks in their face?"

So that's what I'm starting to see in the mirror. Cracks.

In other news, the Bean attended her first day of a new preschool program (again, our lovely tax dollars at work) and informed me that she wants a Princess Jasmine backpack and lunch box. Hmm.

(Note to self: is homeschooling an option yet? Reply: Check Patience-Meter after second child. Empty? Thought so!)

I replied that her lovely butterfly backpack, embroidered "Ella" and given by my sister, along with her Hanna Andersson lunch bag (non-licensed, thank you very much) will do just fine.

This discussion reminds me that a few weeks ago, the Bean asked her Aunt Boof, who works during college breaks at the Disney Store, if she would take her to the Disney Store WITHOUT Mom.

I hope I can grow comfortable in my role as Spoil-Sport! And my sister was just complaining the other day that my mother would buy her ONE PAIR of loafers in the fall to wear with school outfits and even dresses, and ONE PAIR of sneakers. The fact that that makes sense to me implies that the Bean will have similar complaints in adulthood.

3 comments:

Izzy's Mama said...

Ah yes, the dangers of peer-induced wantsies...Keep up the good work steering her away from all of that schlock and don't think of it as being a kill-joy. Instead revel in the knowledge that you are doing your best to keep her away from all of the "Made in China" crap!

As far as home-schooling, even with one, the patience meter can sometimes dip..Maybe yours will go back up. I still toy with the idea myself.

Anonymous said...

I still have the vivid memory of my first tin lunchbox (Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea ... Sci-fi movie spinoff). It was a hand-me-down from my older brother who had moved on to a new lunchbox. I was in first grade. While I am not a fan of the princess conglomerate or the enormous amounts of junk being produced to lure the kids into a lifelong relationship with consumerism, I still can feel my fingers running over the raised bits of that tin lunchbox, tracing the outlines of the submarine and the tiny divers on the outside. Pardon me, as I peruse the internet for a Scooby Doo backpack for a certain preschooler and maybe a little Ebay search for my first grade love.

Bean's Mum said...

I know, I can also understand that participating in the merchandising aspect for an item or two (esp. something with as much interaction as a lunchbox) is also not in itself a bad thing: it seems to be more about the connection to the image's fantasy, not really so removed from classic girl fantasies of fairies and wood sprites (now sold in the "anti-marketing" toy catalogs.)

Being a child who rarely received merchandising schlock also made me feel different, though I think you're not really acutely aware of it until a certain age, at which point the comfort of "fitting in" may have its own, temporary purpose...