'Tis the season to lose one's willpower. That, combined with the increasingly visible nature of sweets has conspired to let our standards slide just a bit. Today, for instance, we stopped in the candy aisle and turned to the right, for once, our back to the cereal. (OK, maybe once or twice I've grabbed a bag of dark chocolate miniatures while Ella wasn't looking, but she was younger and more easily duped.) Today we were trolling for decorations for our gingerbread house-to-be. (Which, constructed before, remains a perfect beacon of holiday cheer in our minds until the end result is before us.)
I let Ella choose Skittles, and I added licorice squares and those fruit rings things in different colors with the grainy sugar coating.
Naturally, she wanted one.
I gave her a white fruit ring thing with the grainy sugar coating, because my pre-lunch, low blood sugar willpower was also low.
After lunch, she reminded me that it is a new day, and thus time to open Day Six on the advent calendar that her Grammy gave her. Luckily, it is a minute piece of chocolate. Double luck, nap was not hugely delayed.
My mother, I remember, used to try to give us carob. We though carob was gross.
Hopefully, in small doses, we'll survive the holiday candy season. Now, onslaught of commercialism, that's a topic for another day.
Tuesday, December 06, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment