
My expectations for my two year-old come shuttling back at my head every day when I hear things like:
"Mommy, you a big girl. You can get the stroller and bring it downstairs."
I know I expect too much of her, and that this will not come completely into focus until later. Right now, my expectations are: lets have some fun, but lets get our errands done too, so that we can get home, so that you can nap, so that I can email students or prepare for class or figure out dinner or apply for a mortgage or...
And then when she is lying on the floor with a tantrum these plans get...well...they're on hold. What I've heard is that it's like trying to live as close personal friends with your...teenager. We are tight until, well, until an alien takes over her body.
What do they say? If you want to amuse God (and a toddler), then share your plans.
It's a wonder we keep it together most days. Mostly.
No comments:
Post a Comment