I understand there are mixed feelings about "The Giving Tree" out there. As a friend of a friend put it, "That tree just gives and gives and winds up an old STUMP!" It is also, however, the Bean's current favorite book." But she has begun reciting the same comments after the same pages, like a robot. After, "And the tree was often alone," she says, "Aw, poor tree." You could bet big money that she will say this each time.
Which feels odd, particularly with a tale already heavy with morality.
On a lighter note, she pointed to a man on the PATH train today with multiple piercings, and seemed very concerned. I tried to explain this. "Mom not have earrings on her face," she said earnestly. "I want him take them off."
Thursday, July 21, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Annalise- The Giving Tree was the first book I ever bought "on my own" and I LOVED it to the point of memorization. It was my "prize" from my parents for good grades in 1st grade, and I literally wore the pages out of the book. then I read it again in college and realized how SEXIST it is! what to do... ?? (glad I'm not a parent! there's only so much damage a teacher can do. insert nervous laugh) at least she's getting the message that women must endlessly sacrifice themselves for the sake of men's success from a BOOK, instead of a hooched-out music video, right? She bangs, she bangs. Indeed she does, my friend, indeed she does. kisses from the non-humid West Coast, :) Aims
Post a Comment